The Pontiac Regional Chamber has named Founding Shareholder Eric Dobrusin the 2021 Champion Member of the Year (for-profit category), recognizing his contributions, volunteerism, and community leadership over the past year. The PRC bestowed the award during its 6th Annual Prosperity Pontiac Event on March 30, 2022.
Eric has been a longtime Pontiac supporter and advocate, starting with his decision to locate The Dobrusin Law Firm’s main office in the downtown district. As he remarked in a July 2021 feature article in Michigan Lawyers Weekly:
Pontiac doesn’t receive nearly the attention it deserves. Aesthetically, its buildings (including ours) are architectural gems, and it offers a special environment teeming with creativity, intellect, and entrepreneurial spirit. We have benefited from that vibe, and we have been committed to the city because we want to be good neighbors and make a difference.
Throughout the years, Eric has spearheaded several programs benefitting Pontiac’s businesses and residents, especially kids:
- One of his earliest projects was to help fund the improvement of a vacant parcel of land downtown, converting it into a small pedestrian park.
- The Downtown Pontiac Business Association and Main Street Pontiac honored the law firm with their 2018 Partner Award.
- The Greater Pontiac Community Coalition honored Eric with its Community Courage Award for his work to positively impact the city, including his involvement with the Oakland University-Pontiac Initiative Early Childhood Group.
- Eric Dobrusin and Alley Cat Café owner Danny Martinez, together with Shareholder Daniela Walters and Community Outreach Coordinator Marijayne Renny, established the Phoenix Races—a partnership between Main Street Pontiac, General Motors, and local technology-focused companies to encourage Pontiac middle and high school students to pursue STEAM education and careers.
- In 2021, Eric, Marijayne, and the firm led a community-wide fundraising effort—the Pontiac Skatepark Project—to build a safe, accessible, and sustainable 10,000 square-foot facility for youth and adults.
Eric constantly promotes Pontiac and has made giving back to the city and its people part of The Dobrusin Law Firm’s DNA. Please join us in congratulating Eric on this award!